On 5 March, Forbes released their much-awaited list of the richest people in the world. This year, 22 Singaporeans made the billionaire list published by the business magazine.
Several of the Singaporean billionaires are in the property business. Top on the list are Robert and Philip Ng, who are ranked 112 globally with a net worth of US$12 billion. Also on the list are the owners of Pontiac Land, the Kwee brothers, who ranked 311 globally with US$5.6 billion, as well as Chua Thian Poh, founder of Ho Bee Land who came in at 1,511 with his net worth of US$1.5 billion.
Among the other names are two that are related to popular hotpot chain Haidilao – co-founder and chairman Zhang Yong (ranked 224 globally) and co-founder and director Shu Ping (ranked 1,281). Zhang Yong, aged 48, is said to have a net worth of US$6.8 billion.
According to Forbes, Asia-Pacific is the region with the most billionaires, at 767 out of the total count of 2,153 billionaires, accounting for a total net worth of US$2.5 trillion. The richest man in Asia is India's Mukesh Ambani, ranked 13 with a net worth of US$50 billion.
Interestingly, the richest self-made woman is also from real estate – Wu Yajun from China, who is reportedly worth US$9.4 billion.
For the second year running, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos remained in the top spot with a net worth of US$131 billion, followed by Bill Gates with US$96.5 billion.
The 22 Singaporean billionaires are:
1) Robert and Philip Ng, control real estate company Far East Organization (ranked 112)
2) Goh Cheng Liang, 91, 39 per cent stake in Japan’s Nippon Paint Holdings (ranked 203)
3) Zhang Yong, co-founder of Haidilao (ranked 224)
4) Wee Cho Yaw, 90, chairman emeritus of United Overseas Bank (ranked 267)
5) Kwee brothers, owners of Pontiac Land (ranked 311)
6) Kwek Leng Beng, 78, executive chairman of Singapore’s Hong Leong Group (ranked 745)
7) Raj Kumar and Kishin RK, Royal Holdings/RB Capital property (ranked 745)
8) Choo Chong Ngen, 65, founder of Hotel 81 (ranked 877)
9) Jason Chang, 74, chairman of Taiwan’s Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ranked 916)
10) Peter Lim, 65, business magnate, entrepreneur, and investor (ranked 916)
11) Kuok Khoon Hong, 69, co-founder of Wilmar (ranked 962)
12) Chang Yun Chung, 100, co-founder of Pacific International Lines (ranked 1,116)
13) Sam Goi, 70, owner of Tee Yih Jia Food Manufacturing (ranked 1,227)
14) Shu Ping, 49, co-founder and director of Haidilao (ranked 1,281)
15) Asok Kumar Hiranandani, 64, co-founder of the erstwhile Royal Brothers property group (ranked 1,349)
16) Lim Oon Kuin, 75, founder of Hin Leong Trading (ranked 1,349)
17) Zhong Sheng Jian, 61, chairman of Yanlord Land (ranked 1,425)
18) Chua Thian Poh, 70, founder of Ho Bee Land (ranked 1,511)
19) Oei Hong Leong, 70, investor (ranked 1,511)
20) Ron Sim, 60, founder of Osim International (ranked 1,605)
21) Zhao Tao, 53, chairman of Shandong Buchang Parmaceuticals (ranked 1,605)
22) Koh Wee Meng, 55, controls Fragrance Group (ranked 1,818)